Thursday, February 24, 2011

"If we will be quiet and ready enough, we shall find compensation in every disappointment."-Thoreau

As I move into the thirteenth day of my loss, the reality begins to strike greater consequence for me and I begin to question my original resolve and wonder what else could I have done. I always promise myself not to journey down this path as in this very process only additional heartache and anguish crowds my judgment. But, it is not without merit and is part of the process of experiencing such a loss. It doesn't have to be the loss of a pet, but this invariably occurred when my parents died as well. I ask myself the painstaking question..."What else could I have done?" And the most gut wrenching one of all...."Why Him?" To pursue this, will only frustrate and actually embarrass myself. Not many people would have undertaken such an avenue of correction. If you've read any of my previous posts, the one verse, "It's Just a Dog" will pretty much answer this question. And I've already given my answer to "Why Him" as explained by my biblical quote from Ecclesiastes, "to everything under Heaven, there is a reason". But, as I struggle with this monumental loss and have such difficulty in accepting this heinous outcome, I look at the quote I've used for the heading of this post. There will be amendment in experiencing such a disappointment.

Here is one of my favorite photos of him and his buddy asleep on the couch. I can't begin to tell you how empty my sofa looks now. As his time came near, it was difficult for him to position himself there. As I lie on the sofa now and rest my hand on the top of the cushions, I gently whisper his name..."Dancer, my boy".

No comments: