Saturday, February 19, 2011

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935 ...




As I mentioned in my last post that I had watched "The Bucket List" the other evening and took away from it more insights. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoy watching a movie several times. One of the points I started to engage in was this nature of animals, and in this case Dancer's, of the afterlife and whether he'll greet me in heaven. I can only say, when my time comes, I'm going to get the warmest welcome with all the animals that have gone before him and the ones that will come after. But to get back to the subject if animals do indeed go to heaven, one could argue on both planes. Depending on which arena you subscribe to; religious or scientific, will determine your beliefs. I think you know where I stand on this one but one has to look at whether an animal has a soul. Again, depending on your religious affiliation and if you look at an animal as a spiritual being with a soul. I cannot believe that God created such a life without rendering it's purpose on earth. There are those who view them strictly as utilitarian but even so, I cannot believe that when the day is done, that the working dog who gathered his sheep, or the cow that just produced 5 gallons of milk, or the Hereford who will eventually feed 25 people does not garner an ounce of gratitude from that person. I certainly view Dancer in the light of the joy he brought to my life and cannot fathom that God did not put him for that purpose and that He will not allow Dancer to return. I guess if they were good enough to get on the Ark, then they'll be good enough to enter heaven.
It is in those flowing waters that I cherish the words of Carter Chambers, "Our lives are streams flowing into the same river towards whatever heaven lies in the mist beyond the falls. Close your eyes my Dancer, and let the waters take you."

No comments: