Friday, February 18, 2011

The Bucket List

I watched the "Bucket List" the other evening. A rather precarious event for me in light of the fragility of my emotional state. Sometimes it can have a reverse effect and bring some comfort. I enjoyed the movie as I've seen it several times and each time I watch it, I pick up a subtle cue or am validated by the message that lies herein. I got to thinking about Carter and Edward and their creation of their "bucket list" and wondered if a dog (or cat for that matter) would have a "Bucket List"? I guess depending on how much we attempt to humanize our pets would make that determination. And, I fall prey to that somewhat nonsensical effort. But, bear with me on this one for if you're an animal lover in the slightest sense, you'll understand where I'm coming from. Dancer is (was) a special dog; as all of my present and past dogs (and cats) have been. Each very unique in their own demeanor, description, behavior. Dancer boy was no different. I know each animal, even those that are abused beyond belief have a sense of loyalty to their owner and it's only in the cruelty or compassion that the dog receives will determine it's outcome. Nary the dog that's been struck, chained, whipped, starved, and with proper training and rehabilitation I hope could overcome that abuse. I like to think that Dancer got the best home in the world. Maybe his list would have included more dog treats, or another trip to Montana, possibly a run at being a Grand Master Flyball Dog. Well, he certainly didn't know how many points he was winning, or the trophies he received. He did it for the shear enjoyment and he knew how excited I became to see him flying down the track. But then again, maybe his most fun times were spent in the company of his "Dad", relaxing on the sofa or in the "Frasier" chair. I'll miss seeing him there.

No comments: