Tuesday, January 22, 2013

IS IT REALLY NECESSARY?

"Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world all at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach". ~Clarissa Pinkda Estes





I must admit and somewhat cynically that I'm not one for pomp and ceremonial pageantry.  It is the thing of kings and artisans and in my estimation, terribly intemperate.  I often look at such experiences as to whose benefit are we doing this?  Certainly not mine and the amount of money that exceedingly goes into such events is shameful.  I'm mainly speaking of the Inaugural functions that have occurred in the last several days.  Yes, I know we've elected a President and yes, I know there's "supposed" to be ceremonies that are by right-traditional.  But, really, does one really care what designer Michelle chose to make her dress?  Or does anyone really care whose shoes she and her daughters are wearing?  I believe the sad thing is, the answers to these questions are sadly a resounding Yes.  I look at the amount  of money that has been spent on these ceremonies and look more disgustedly on who's footing the bill-Me and about 200 million other Americans.  I look at what we could have done with that money and how many homeless shelters could have been built, or how many other bills could have been paid and how much could have been cut into our so called Fiscal Cliff.  Mind you, I am being cynical here and  my wonderment in how we got ourselves into this trillion dollar debt is only answered by the exorbitant amount of government waste we spend each day.

Oh, by the way, its now been 27 days since Christmas, only 338 more days!!

No comments: