Thursday, January 3, 2013

A SOALIN'


It has been several years since I last decorated my house at Christmas.  The last two years were somewhat beleaguered and the mood wasn't supported by general festivities that usually accompany Yuletide joy.  However, I felt somewhat intimidated by neighbors efforts at fun and frolic this season so I joined in the decorative spirit.  The practice of putting up decorations at Christmas has a long and storied past.  In the 15th Century, London custom showed every house to be "decked with holm, or ivy," (hence, where we get the song "Deck the Halls with boughs of ivy") and the custom of putting lights on our homes, it is thought to have originated with a Roman Emperor who was of the Invictus Sol religion which worships the sun, and the winter Solstice was their greatest celebration.  Many cultures that were subject to deep darkness and cold, would light candles, or build fires, bonfires to lend strength to the waning power of light....to help light triumph over darkness.  The idea of putting a candle or light in each window lends to the Judaeo/Christian belief that Christ as the light of the world will triumph over evil or sin.  The time frame when the lights will come down was typically the 12th Night after Christmas or Jan. 5th.  So, I guess I have until the weekend to decide.  I know as I look about my neighborhood, that most of the lights on homes have already come down, but there are a few of us "holdouts".  

I'm also including in this post one of my favorite Christmas tales.  Well, it's not exactly a Christmas tale but a traditional English song popularized by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  The song is called "A Soalin'" and the soul cake was traditionally made for All Saints Day or All Souls Day to celebrate the dead.  The "cakes" were simply referred to as "souls"and were given out by mourners-typically children and the poor would go from door to door, not on Christmas, but on Halloween singing and praying for the dead.  Each cake eaten would represent a soul being freed from Purgatory.  This practice of giving and eating of the soul cakes is often referred to as the origin of Trick or Treating.  The video I've posted here is the version where Paul does his now famous comedy routine about American children and their "custom" of trick or treating.  Enjoy


No comments: