Thursday, January 27, 2011

"You've Got.......


I was watching one of my favorite movies the other night (for the umpteenth time)"You've Got Mail". And I duly confess that I will watch it again....and again....and again. I'm at the point where if there were tryouts for JOE FOX, I'd win the part hands down as I know all the lines!! Now, if I could convince Meg Ryan to reprise her role as Kathleen Kelly, my heart would leap!!
And while it's the updated version of another of my all time favorites-"The Shop Around the Corner", I look beyond the basic "enchantment" of the theme of the movie of online dating, the mercurial element of surprise to learn someone you're interested in could be that close to you without knowing it, but the impact of social networking on the population of the world-namely blogging. I confess to not being a "textor" for I find it rather impersonal and somewhat passive aggressive for the weak of heart. Emailing has become a "convenience" to reach the masses and while it too is rather impersonal, it does have its benefits. I know if I were in a relationship with a woman now, I would not use "texting" to communicate with her. I find it much more sensitive and loving to call her rather than send her an emotionally abandoned message on her cell-"Honey, what's for supper"? It would be an emotional connect to hear the sweetness of her voice as she said, "when are you coming home"?

I digress for a moment but all in line with the point of this blog. I remember a rather poignant line Kathleen (strange enough) writes to Joe after he has "stood her up" at the cafe. "The odd thing about this form of communication is you're more likely to talk about nothing than "something", but I want to say that all this "nothing" has meant more to me than so many "somethings". And so it goes with blogging. I don't have the slightest idea of how many "bloggers" are out there. One can go to your favorites and look at all the people who for instance list "You've Got Mail" as one of their favorite movies (823,000). That's more people than the population of the U.S. And I know I'll never in my lifetime look at all 823,000, or the number of people who list "Love Actually" as one of their favorite movies, the really cool thing about this form of communication as Kathleen so touchingly writes, we're more so apt to talk about "nothings" in our blog, but they mean so much more than "somethings". I can go to "Ed" in the Phillipines and read about his day and what excites him; or look at "Karin" in Stockholm and read about her innermost feelings; or even "Melanie" from the Bayou and she can tell me about some home cooked Cajun recipe her great grandmother passed down to her. So, while there appears to be a certain element of disconnect, or disengagement from the use of technology, there is that one glorified anticipation of "what will NY152" say next!!

So, if some night when the wolves have stopped howling, the faint fragrance of Spring is in the air, Jack has finished his homework and shifted off to bed, and your wading through some of those 823,000 blogs of people who list "You've Got Mail" and you come across mine Meg, know that I'd take you in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really beautiful post.
You've Got Mail is one of my favourite movies too and I used to adore Meg Ryan, in fact I still do.
You make some very pertinent points about Blogger, I'm amazed how huge it is but it's nice to find a gem amongst the "nothings" you posted about.
I'm glad I stopped by.

At Mary and Paul's Place said...

Well, hello Paul, and thanks very much for a touching comment!. I neglected to put in that particular "post" about how I have no idea of how many people view/read my blog. And it's not really important to me who does, or who doesn't. I don't mean that to sound uncaring but my blog is very personal. That may sound like an oxymoron considering it's on the web able to be accessed by people all around the world, but it's nice to know that people such as yourself have been touched by my writing.

It's also nice to know you're in or near my "roots" on my dad's side of our family. My grandparents lived in a small mountain village called-Pietraoia before emigrating to the U.S.
Thanks,
Ciao,
Dan