Friday, December 31, 2010

For Auld Lang Syne



As I sit at my keyboard and listen to this beautiful song by Mairi Campbell I'm drawn to the waning minutes of this year-2010, my 60th year on this earth. 60 years....where did they go and I wonder if I missed any of them. Surely there were moments that I did not grasp. What happened to that third grader who lived for the summer months of baseball, hot dogs, and a dog named "Terry"? Did the high school pimply faced kid miss out on those cherished parental moments? Was college not just a reflection of a political foundation that never stuck? Did my failed marriage allow me to garner implication for preparation to be a senior citizen? I listen to the words of this ill fated song and hope to rely on long standing friendships and never to forget them and their total and utter importance in the person I've learned to become. I read the quote of Thoreau that I used several days ago, "to make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives". I hope I've been able to discern those from the less fortunate ideas that have scanned my brain waves, and those have dominated mine.

I look at the blessings of not just this year (for certainly there have been many)but for those that have been given to me for all time. I celebrate my life and am somewhat amused at those that look perilous at their own. I've grown to acknowledge the most insignificant of details in my life that their unconventionality have become conventional. Surely the most significant that linger are a job, place to live, health, friends, family, pets, but my faith and its ever present role in my life and its essence. I've learned far to late in life the presence it must have. I celebrate it as its sustainability for now and ever.

No comments: