Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SUNSHINE ALWAYS MAKE ME SMILE

I have admitted in several posts over the last few years that I unabashedly and most refreshingly have been a dedicated fan of John Denver for many years and still am to this day.   I can't count the number of times I've been to Colorado and enjoyed the perils of skiing the moguls in Aspen, white water rafting, backing over Buckskin Pass from the Maroon Bells to Snowmass Lake, or laying my motorcycle on its side skirting the twistys on the Million Dollar Highway.  These are shining moments of celebration and I always carried a John Denver cassette or CD blasting the eardrums and belting out in my off key voice one of his tunes.  I've shared these moments with some very special friends but as of late, my most prized companions were Piper, Remy, and of course-Dancer.  I could always rely on a John Denver tune to pick me up from whatever doldrums were resting on my shoulders.  It was John's way of weaving his poetry of lyrics with his perpetual "Rocky Mountain High" that would bring forth an ecstasy of peace to my squandered mind.  They were my "drugs" of choice in a world of deceit and confusion already wasted in mind altering narcotics. 

And so it is again that I've come to a place of familiarity of despair.  I need a "drug" to lift me out from my sadness to take me back to that "Rocky Mountain High", up over Buckskin Pass, and on that last run down Ruthie's Slip in Aspen where you look at the setting sun and can't tell where earth ends and heaven begins.  I long to return to the mountains for my God speaks so dearly to me.  I knew that my next trip there would most likely be without my Boy.  We will return soon, and while Dancer won't be with us, I know his spirit and his essence will be the Sunshine On My Shoulders and he will always forever make me smile.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was always my favorite song, till skin cancer came along...
Still a beautiful song!