Sunday, March 27, 2011

61-My Favorite Number (for now)


As my most recent posts have been somewhat somber, depressing, and well, let’s face it-grim, I thought I could really liven this one up and brood over the fact that I turned 61 today.  And before my thousands of adoring readers and followers (Paul S.) start to send me well wishes and possibly even money, please understand that I’m only accepting marriage proposals from either Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan, Juliette Binoche, Diane Lane, Tea Leoni, or Kate Beckinsale.  You can see that I’m attempting to broach these posts with some levity and add some lightheartedness to them.  However, at any time I could sink further into a massive depression, start taking massive doses of Cymbalta, and even worse, start telling you the plots behind front running shows such as “Keeping up with the Kardashians”, “Kim and Kourtney take on New York”, or the best yet-“Jersey Shore”; ohhhh, don’t you just love “Snooki”?
But as I said this post is meant to be more of a reflection of my 61 years as I received a discerning email the other day which gave me pause of what’s transpired in my life time.  It was entitled: “Growing Up without a Cell Phone”.  And it very well could have been entitled “Growing Up without all the Conveniences we have today”.   And while the “conveniences” listed in my initial email are way to many to mention, I’d like to muse over those communication devices and how they’ve brought many of us together, they’ve also served to alienate us.  Instead of mailing a photo of the newborn grand daughter, it’s sent via email.  And please, how many grand parents can navigate around the old Epson?  When we’re angry with the spouse, instead of talking it out, we send them a passive aggressive text message.  With Caller ID, we can pick and choose who we want to talk to rather than “face the music”.  Remember, that phone call could be the Publishers Sweepstakes telling you won the $1,000,000 for life……yeah right.  But, we can hope. 
I’m not dismissing the total technological environment for there are many benefits.  Just look at “blogging”.  These blogs reach the entire world.  I guess in my 61 yrs. I’ve overcome my shyness and would rather “face the music”.
Good night, Dancer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great birthday.

At Mary and Paul's Place said...

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the good wishes. I most certainly would have had a better birthday had I celebrated with my "best friend", but I've learned life gives us no guarantees. If Meg had called and wanted to go out and fake her most celebrated scene with me, that would have been alright too.