Saturday, March 30, 2013

This Aging Thing






“You don't stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.”
George Bernard Shaw
Embrace aging.”
Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
“It is lovely to meet an old person whose face is deeply lined, a face that has been deeply inhabited, to look in the eyes and find light there.”
John O'Donohue
“I'm pretty sure that eating chocolate keeps wrinkles away because I have never seen a 10 year old with a Hershey bar and crows feet.” 
Amy Neftzger

There is an element of serene tranquility that peppers my life now.  Gone are the hurried days of completion and fragmented accomplishments.  The veneer that so covered an existence without hesitation has vanished.  I read these quotes with humor and reflection and ask myself if there is a need to clothe myself in review.  Was there something missing in my life or had I failed to find the leprechaun's pot of gold?  I used to ask myself of how I would be at this age...fearful, deliberate, oppositional, or even surreptitiously happy?  I prefer the latter as aging hasn't become something as a distance yet to be reached, but moreover a veneration that I'm here and moving forward.  “Good thing I'm aging, otherwise I'd be dead.” So, on the contrary, I'd prefer it to be this way.   
Ana Monnar
The hair is graying, the face is lined, there's a bit of a paunch, I don't see as well, the body parts don't all get up together in the morning, but surprisingly they all fall asleep together.  But, I like it this way and have grown accustomed to this.  There is no guesswork at life for I've laid it out with commitment and resolution.  I would not change a thing.


1 comment:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

"Good thing I'm ageing, otherwise I'd be dead" now isn't that the truth. I'm grateful for each year.