Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Very Unique Sense of Awe





Over at 1600 the other day, there was a ceremony of sorts that left me in reverence for the participant that was honored.  As our illustrious commander in chief ceremoniously placed our highest honor around this gallant and heroic warrior's neck, my thoughts drifted to what sense of unflinching strength of courage could this man possess.  The news media began to play some of the video that he and his fellow soldiers encountered as they attempted to secure their position against the enemy.  I really don't understand where men such as he and his unit for that matter obtain their audacious skills.  I understand that these men are professional soldiers.  They have been trained to perform under a reasonable amount of stress and combat operations.  But I truly fail to understand what extraordinary quality in this soldier's make up allowed him to defiantly risk his own life to save so many others.  I never had to serve in the Armed Forces.  I can recall eons ago (actually in 1971) as my college buds and I sat in our dorm rooms and listened to the announcement of the birth dates as the draft was reinstituted for the Vietnam war.  As we heard the first birth date called out, "Sept. 14th", and we looked over at Tom K. as this was his birthday, we all thought, would we actually go if our local draft board sent us our "walking papers", to Uncle Sam that is?  I can still recall the fear that came over me as the my thoughts and images of running through a rice paddy with M-16 bullets whizzing over my head literally evoked panic in my body.  And then to hear the account of this man's description of being totally surrounded by Taliban forces, being seriously outmanned and outgunned, and his actions that he performed to save the remainder of his company only gives me the greatest of respect for him and his fellow soldiers.  I'm somewhat embarrassed as I sit half a world away, sitting on my ass in my barcalounger, drinking a Dr. Pepper while munching on a bowl of popcorn and he was defending me and another 200 million or so Americans.  Whether you agree with our government's policies or disagree with the shameful amount of money that is being pumped into this war, the fact is that he and some 35,000 other men and women are risking their lives day in and day out.  I salute you, and thank you.

No comments: