Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"For All That's Been Said and Done"

I've been meaning to put this little video together for Mary and Paul for sometime. I've been remiss lately as another "family" course of action has remanded me. If you've read any of my posts over the last several months, you'll understand. I had intended to use another song (and I still most probably will) but for the time being, this one has certainly touched my heart.

I am the "kid" of Mary and Paul and in several of my posts about them and their human frailties, I have readily admitted to their shortcomings and in a typical muse about dysfunctional families, it has been all to simple to oblige their failings as my parents who only went to war with each other and took myself and my sisters as prisoners. And yet, I don't blame them for they only had so many parenting skills to pass onto me. And what strengths they did have as parents, they gave to me. Kids don't come out with a manual and even if we did, we"re way to young to read it to new moms and dads. I could have acquiesced to their disturbed emotional duress and used them as an excuse. But parents can only be responsible for so long for their kids. The rest is really up to us. Looking back. I would be negligent and there would be a sufficient degree of remorse on my part to think I had lousy parents. There had to come a time in my life to accept my entrance into adulthood, establish the boundary that parents must develop from their children, and learn that I may have been "robbed" of a childhood because mom and dad may have missed an opportunity with me. But to hold that against them and take it into my adulthood will only deprive me of my own happiness. The only person who got "robbed" here is me and it was my own doing.
To this day, I continue to look to Mary and Paul.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was successful in opening the picture portion and listen to the beautiful soundtrack of Whitney Houston. They say pictures are worth a thousand words and those particular pictures of Mom and Dad, us as children, the beautiful sunsets, sunrises and all the scenery within your blog are all spectacular to say the least. Thanks so much for sharing.

Your "Older" Sister, Paulette