Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Life is a Journey"




My posts have lately been far and few between and if you read this blog you know why. It has come down to more of a “journaling” than what it’s original intention was set out to be. But, ahhhhh, the beauty of life affords us that-change.
“Life’s a journey not a destination”…how many times have we read this and thought, “what a bunch of crap”? As a kid, when we went anywhere with the parents, how many times did we scream at the top of our lungs, “are we there yet”? And lately, I’ve been thinking that. As my boy Dancer (and I) are continuously challenged by “what to do” about this cancer thing that has invaded his body and appears to have no bound in wanting to destroy his life (and mine as well), I somberly think of the “destination”. Is it going to be death from cancer? And I guess this is where that part of that quote comes in; the journey, for it obliges me to pursue that overlooked road or detour to try and cheat fate. If you have a pet, you’ve been there and done that….when is the right time, did I wait too long, did I not wait long enough, who am I doing this for, him or me? And the ever engaging-“quality of life” buffer which somehow is meant to lessen our complete and utter anguish at “letting them go”. But, come on now, it really doesn’t…you’ve truly lost your best friend and all you can think about, is I want him here with me. But after your emotions have somewhat calmed, the cobwebs of heartbreak have subsided, you can reason, “it was time” and he’ll be in that special place we commonly refer to as Heaven, because you know….all dogs do go to heaven (and cats, and horses, and goats, and pigs….)

So, I (and Dancer) embark on one of those detours in the journey of life to try another intervention. Dancer will undergo a fairly new and somewhat radical procedure called the “cyberknife” in hopes of eradicating this tumor that impales him. We will place our trust in the hands of the skilled artisan who hopefully have their hands guided by God to use the laser beam to cheat death and add to, not just the quality of his life, but the quantity as well. It will be my fondest hope (and remember, Hope is a good thing) that Dancer will die of old age, not cancer.

No comments: