Sunday, August 30, 2009

Frank-ly Speaking!!


As Dancer's journey continues (and hopefully on a positive one), I would be remissed, almost negligent, no, it would be unconscionable if I didn't acknowledge one of my "earth angels" in this ordeal. I know I've talked about my spirituality in my last several posts coupled with my undying belief in faith and hope that our "destination" will be one of joy. I've also talked about miracles and believing in them and while my most passionate wish is that Dancer is cured, I also believe in angels. I've been blessed lately (and throughout my life really) to have an extraordinary team of angels guiding me, consoling me, keeping my hope "Everest" like. But I digress and without mentioning this person, as I said, it would be unconscionable on my part for I credit him with his insight, knowledge, and judgment at catching this at an early stage. As I've witnessed and discussed with others who are experiencing the same type tumor in their dogs, and listening to their heartbreaking stories of misdiagnosis, treatment for other conditions and wasting precious time, I think back to the day in my vet's office when he suggested doing an x-ray to see what may be causing his sneezing. And when the "mass" was found, it was his recommendation that a referral be made to the oncologist to find out what its' make up was. The worst thing unfortunately was realized at that appt. But, he could have suggested treat with antibiotics, like other peoples vets had done, give him a shot, as other peoples have done, and all the while precious time would have been gone. I thank my "earth angel" for his intuition. If Dancer has been granted more time with me, I know he will have a Herculean contribution to it.
This guy is sort of semi retired as a vet though. He sold the practice a couple of years ago and as a courtesy the new group lets him come to the office, sort of as a "be kind to the old folks" mentality. He's the only guy there, outnumbered by 9-1 by females so that speaks either to his inner strength or he's unabashedly succumbed that the male is far inferior to the opposite sex. He spends the rest of is "free" time being a grandpa, trying to play on his forgotten dreams of being the next Ansel Adams (but he'll never be because he still shoots with a Nikon), and venturing off with his lovely bride-Sue to photograph those unfulfilled dreams of Ansel.
Several years ago, I got him to abandon his PC for a more hip, up to date, trendy, and just viably better computer, the venerable and enigmatic iMac. But in doing so, I inadvertently created a monster....a book monster for now he has taken to his new toy of creating pictorial books with his iMac. And I must say, he has a knack for making them not just visually stunning, but almost Adams like in their quality (ok, ok, so he shot them with a Nikon). It's customary when a president retires that he makes a library honored with his name. This guy will be the first vet to create a library from all his iMac books. Frank, you're the best!!

No comments: