Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Secret of Life


This past weekend, I finished watching the miniseries "Lonesome Dove". I had never completely watched the entire series from start to finish when it was originally aired, not having the "maxi" to sit through all 8 hrs. of it. And, if you've not seen it, I would highly recommend it. It's a wonderful story of the Old West, relationships, intrigue, and above all friendship and devotion as attested by the main characters-Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call. It's the sort of relationship that I think we all should strive for lest we lose ourselves in our own selfishness and opportunistic endeavors. It's the fulfillment of a dying man's last wish and the resolute dedication of his best friend to fulfill that wish. While I don't believe our lives are "movies", I believe there can be events in them that parody our own...this being one of them and certainly gives us a goal to strive for. And even though, "Woodrow" would rather not "admit" he's "human", I think of the words to a James Taylor song that again would behoove him and certainly for us to accommodate in our own lives:


"The secret of life is in opening up your heart,
It's okay to feel afraid,
But don't let that stand in your way,
cause anyone knows that love is the only road,
And since we're here for awhile,
Might as well show some style,
Give us a smile."

I was having a little difficulty in finding a really good picture to embody what I'm saying here. Being an animal person, I thought of a pic of myself with my dogs since the love of dog for their master is one of those unwavering, ceaseless loves. However, I chose this family photo of a young couple with their 4 mos. old daughter with their hands entwined exuding strength, trust, comfort, and above all-devotion.

No comments: