Monday, June 22, 2009

I'M WITH THE "YOOPERS"



For those of you who are in the "know", and I mean really in the "Know", you'll know (that's a heck a lot of "knows" don't you think??) what I'm referring to as being with the "Yoopers". Ok, ok, I'm going to have to break down and tell you (honestly, I had to look it up myself, lest I make myself look really dumb), but a "Yooper" is a person who is from the Upper Peninsula, Michigan. Derived from "U.P.- ers" have a very strong regional identity. Many of the people who live here claim to have a strong Finnish ancestry. These two images presented are from the little town of Munising, Mi. The sunset is from Sand Point and the waterfalls are the Sable Falls.

But what is even more notable for me is the technology that brings them to you or the viewing world. They were taken with my phone, downloaded to my computer, "cleaned up" in Photoshop, all while I sit in the opulent confines of my RV flanked by my 3 dogs as they make themselves comfortable on the couch. To top it off, I'm sitting here gorging myself on butter pecan ice cream and chasing them with sugar cookies!! I mean, is technology great or what??!?? I say that somewhat facetiously as we often like to "get away" from the world's hustle and bustle, but, as often as we try, we have to stay "connected". It's almost a disease that we can't leave our cell phones, computers, internet, GPS', (and butter pecan ice cream) alone. I mean, I've only been here 3 days and I've already talked with one of my sister', emailed the other one 5x's, spoke with two of my good friends and sent out 10 emails. What happened to the good ol' days when we could be gone for two weeks at a time and the only thing we did in that time was send out postcards.......damn you Steve Jobs.....somebody save me!!!!!

No comments: