Saturday, February 14, 2009

"White Tornado"



I am awestruck by clouds and skies and the very ethereal quality that accompanies them. It probably started at a very young age when I would be playing baseball at the local American Legion Post or playing "war" with my fellow neighborhood mates. I would often look up in the sky and be mesmerized by their formation, depth, beauty and often mystique. How many times did I, or you (and still till this day) look for someone's face, or the shape of an animal, or object, or even for the more spiritual of us, pretend we saw the face of God there? I am still equally encaptured by sunsets and often retreat to one of my favorite places in St. Louis to view them-the Missouri Confluence Park, where the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers join. I not only enjoy the beauty of a sky on a sunny day straddled with altocumulus, or nimbostratus, or one of the many other types of clouds, but the dark, mysterious, and the often portentous storm clouds.

I offer two clouds today....one from my summer sojourn of 08' where I took my RV, the dogs, and headed to Canada, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Badlands and Colorado for 3 weeks. The other from the Missouri Confluence Park on one of those ominous days where at any minute, the "thrill seeker" in me hoped I would see a tornado drop down from the sky. The first one, I aptly call, "white tornado" as the shape I see is one of a tornado shape hovering over the douglas firs. I especially like the way the "bowl" effect of the trees as the "tornado" pierces the center of the trees.

And the second one, I see a variety of shapes in it as well. Tell me, what do you see?


No comments: