Monday, May 23, 2011

No "KIT" Tastraphe!! (Hopefully)

My previous post spoke of a mother rabbit and her baby "kits" that had taken up refuge in my back yard for the last several weeks.  And as many young animals they are subject to the perils of ending up as delicacies for wayfaring predators, especially feral cats or red tailed hawks.  I've kept a watchful eye for them and did see them (3) two days ago.  They were actually enjoying a romp through what was much needed to be cut grass with their mother.  She was quite playful with them as they darted about a mixture of rose of sharon bushes, star cherry tree, and ornamental grasses that decorate my yard.  And while I haven't seen any of the local predators, I've not seen the kits since then.  So, I'm hoping that they've moved on maybe to more fervent territories, or are just being quite coy and selfish about showing their furry little faces to me.  I did check out their previous bungalow this evening and while there were remnants of their fur, it appears that they haven't been back for several days.  I will continue to hope that they are around here and will again tell me they're on their way to being just plain "cwazy wabbits".

Since I don't have a pic of the bunnies, their mom will have to do.

No comments: